My Favourite Pages

Monday, May 18, 2009

Where You Habour The Ship

There is an old ancient Chinese saying...okay I'm not too sure of the EXACT line, but it goes something like this 'It's not where you harbour the ship, it's where you anchor it. Sometimes when the anchor lands in the wrong place, it loosens with tide. When its in the right place, it does not go anywhere no matter how strong the current or wind. My boss said it. He always has old ancient Chinese sayings to say.

Is it not profound? I absolutely love that particular saying. The Chinese have many ancient sayings and proverbs which are so meaningful not to mention brilliantly put. God has put everyone here on earth for a reason. How we make it better for ourselves and how we sail ourselves to a particular destination is entirely up to us. We have the potential to change our lives for good or for bad. If we lead our ship to treacherous waters, just because we did not think ahead to chart the journey...i mean, there could a water hole in that particular stretch of the ocean, just waiting to suck you in...we could land ourselves in trouble. Oh, nobody knows in which point of their lives that they will end up anchoring in shallow waters...meaning we don't know where we'll end up right? But, the point is to chart the course of action. We have to have an action plan. What is it that we want to do, what is it we hope to achieve, where is it we hope to end up and with whom.

Without proper planning, we are just like a ship in the harbour...with no directions...all tied down to the anchor. We don't even know where to go and what to do. yes, off course some people want to be like the speed boat or a jet ski...rushing around here and there with hopes to get to their destinations faster but, the irony of it is that, they do get there faster, but where? They're all over the place without proper planning. Oh yes, they have fun...I mean, the adrenaline rush you get when you are in the fast lane, doing things you are not suppose to do and the excitement that comes with it...I guess, for a while, it really is exciting. But in the end, when you really want to anchor somewhere, that is when you realize that all you have is some measly beach, totally different from what you expected in your haste and rush to get there faster than everyone else.

But if the ship in the harbour is anchored up tightly there. She's all sure that's where she wants to be. This is what makes her happy to be where she is. Because ultimately, she has chartered her course of life and planned her journey to the destination very well thought of, and she leads her ship with ease throughout her entire journey. Oh, there could be rain, thunderstorms, icebergs ahead...but after all of it has died down, she is happy. Just happy to be there.

I guess we should all think about ourselves for a minute. What makes us who we are. Is it family? Is it the friends that surrounds us? Our environment? What are the plans that we have made for ourselves? How do we get there? Are we even halfway there? What about our dreams of becoming this or that? Wanting to do this and that? Are we strong enough for the journey? Are our emotions and feelings in control? What happens when we fail? You can only succeed when you have fail, how else would you have the experience to learn and make it better right?

I was driving to work today thinking about how my world seems to be falling apart to pieces on one side but picking up on the other side. And i laughed at its irony. I cou
ld only feel the love of God flowing through me. I'm so happy to be alive, limbs in tact. I'm so happy i have these big beautiful eyes to see the beauty around me and to utter words from my mouth. I need to anchor, but at the moment, this ship is still sailing around looking for a harbour. I don't know where it is yet. I'm the sort of person that charts my course from point to point. I have a lot to learn. I see rocky waters up ahead but I'm looking forward for an uneventful journey because an eventful journey is boring. But hopefully not too many 'iceberg's ahead' too many times. I'd like to anchor soon. Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment