My Favourite Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

About Middle Fingers And Creeps

Malaysians are supposed to be warm, friendly people right? Yeah right!. Forgive me for being a pessimist here a bit but I seriously think these days people are getting to be tad more discourteous than before. Maybe it's the ailing economy. Yeah, let's blame it on the economy. People are moody and get defensive when they think they are being attacked (whatever). It all started out one fine Monday morning...I guess Monday morning blues really get to people. I mean, there I was driving to work, in my own lane, listening to my daily dose of the mix Fm breakfast show, when an ass just cuts in front of my car without signaling. Seriously, signals, side mirrors or rear-view mirrors are there for a reason, not for show. And It wasn't any Kelisa or Kancil, mind you, this was a big ten-seater passenger van. I got a shock and almost swerved into another vehicle in the right lane, in a suit to protect myself and my car. But the second vehicle, who had no idea what had happened seconds before, honked at me and showed me the middle finger. I was shocked and dazed. And what's with the middle finger thing?

A couple of months ago, I was on the way to work along the busy Bukit Jalil stretch, a Kelisa was trying to get in between the cars in a jam packed, two-car lane. The dude seriously thought he could squeeze his way through. Who did he think he was? Bloody f*****g Knight Rider? Seriously. What happened next was inevitable. I could see it coming and frustratingly, I couldn't stop it. The right lane my car was in wasn't even moving and the guy was in the left lane, squeezing his way through. He came straight for my car and knocked my left passenger side mirror. I could only watch in horror as my side mirror came out of its sockets and dangled out. My instant reaction was giving him a loud honk, because that was the only thing I could do. And The guy just turns at me and gave me the middle finger. What an ass! And because of him, I have my rear-view mirror in bandages and everytime I am stuck in traffic, people look at my bandaged side mirror and shake their heads and try their best to take a peek at yours truly. They are probably thinking what a terrible driver I am!.

In another incident, I was driving and looking for a parking space in Bangsar when I entered the lane next to McDonald's. It was after work rush hour and practically everyone was rushing to get a spot to park. So there I was waiting for my turn to turn right back into the main road. There's is an unspoken rule when you drive in a jam that you take turns to get into that road. One car from that lane, one car from this lane. So the other car from the next lane just passed through and next should be my turn. But suddenly, another car from the next lane rushes into the lane that I was going to turn into, honked at me and, yeah, you guessed it, gave me the middle finger! It was a good-looking guy by the way. But a creep all the same.

Really, I think Malaysians are becoming so intense, especially where driving is concerned. People jump cues at traffic lights. People cut into a lane without signaling. They race their silly-reconstructed cars on the highways and endanger the lives of others. Really, and we all wonder why accidents happen. And what is it with the middle-finger-happy spree? As a person who happens to be the object of this abominable gesture, and traumatized by it nevertheless, I would like to say to those people who finds solace in this uncivilized gesture to grow up and get a life!! But maybe I should not take it so personally since they feel better after the deed. Well, do whatever that makes you sleep at night creep!

No comments:

Post a Comment