My Favourite Pages

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Miss-Make-A-Fool-Of-Myself Again

It was Monday morning and we had our usual briefing. I'm a full fledged secretary now, not afraid of sending out minutes of meeting to the Dubai bosses anymore hehe.(Yeah, there were a few hick-ups a little while ago)...FYI, filling up forms constitute a small part in a secretary's job. So last week I had to fill out the halal certification form for the two F&B outlets..(oh, for shisha lovers, we have a really cozy place for you guys to hang out). My boss had asked the Sales Manager to deal with this matter so all I had to do was get instructions and information from her. I went into her office and asked her briefly about certain things I wasn't sure about. At the end of the first page of the form, in bold, capital letters, it said, 'Remarks'. I was not sure what it meant. So I asked her. She was onto something the senior GM from Dubai asked her to do. So, off-handedly, waving her hands and looking at her PC, she said, 'Just ask them to process quickly,' It was meant as a joke. But since i was so serious in filling up the form properly without having my boss yell 'Faaaraaaaahhh!!' from his office, I wrote it down and subsequently typed it into the form.

So at the Morning meeting, I was earnestly taking down the important notes if the meeting when the halal certification came up. The Sales Manager said everything is in order. Farah has compiled all the relevant information, the menu, and has filled up the form accordingly. Good, good, said my GM, nodding his head as he went through the application form. Then suddenly he stopped at the bottom. Yeah, right where the word 'Remarks' were. His eyes went from the sales manager to me. 'What the hell is this?!' Luckily, my GM is a soft-spoken man, and he does not really like yelling. In the three months that I have worked alone with him, he has never reprimanded me. I lost the master key to the hotel (this key can open all the hotel rooms in the hotel) and he was very calm about it. He said to stop looking for it and it'll turn up. I know he had to breath in and breath out slowly just to say those words to me. Lucky it turned up.

Sorry, I digress. Anyway,I happen to think that my GM has a soft spot for me. He was angry on my behalf yesterday, when....okay, sorry, i will write that in another post. Let's finish this first. Needless to say my already gigantic eyes turned as big as a flying saucer, and i gulped slowly. What? what is it?, asked the sales manager, also looking at me. She is my friend and she knows what I'm capable of pulling. She gave me a meaningful look.

'Kindly speed up the halal certification proces' read my boss. I looked up at the ceiling. I knew the words well. I wrote it, after all. I managed a silly smile at my boss. My sales manager couldn't control her laughter and started laughing. 'You didn't have to write that Farah! I was joking!!'. Luckily, my boss found it funny and started laughing too. Soon, the whole room was in laughter. So in defense of my silly self, I said, 'I'm glad to be of help and make eveyrone laugh!'. Seriously Farah.

No comments:

Post a Comment