My Favourite Pages

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Motherhood


Motherhood

Motherhood is nature's way of balancing the good and the bad. I have learned not to swear so much...I have learned that to be a good parent means to learn through trial and error. There is no right or wrong. There is no specific way of doing something. I also learned that just because your parents did it their way, does not mean that your way is wrong. Above all, i learned respect.

Respect. I read an article the other day about a woman whose husband kept on complaining how rude the kids are then the next minute he shouts and yells at them, telling them to get him this, to get him that without even saying please. I tell you...if only i could kick his ass...I like to live by the following words. "Lead by example". Simple and yet so profound.

Children are fast learners. They pick up every word, every gesture, every move, easily. I don't know. I get horrified when i see people picking on their kids. Personally, i talk to my kids as though they understand every single word i say. I have been doing that since day one for both my kids. No baby talks. No rudeness. Just plain, simple old fashion talk. With authority off course.

Like if i ask my kids to do something, i always say please at the end. I give them the respect they deserve and they do it willingly. I'm happy to report that when they want me to do something for them, they say please. It's really nice. I'm so proud of them and at myself. I mean, there was a time when i was doubtful i could be a good mom, a good single mom at that. But all these little achievements make me realize I'm not too bad after all and I'm better than some examples that surrounds me.





No comments:

Post a Comment